Another View About How The Media Lies–Yes, YOU Too Faux Noise, NPR, MSNBC, CNN…
Hat tip to NeoGriot:
Of course, this is a news and commentary blog. And I pick and choose material from the mainstream media as well as alternative media that appeals to my point of view. But when I watch electronic news, I don’t automatically believe everything they say, and I try to update or give another view about what might be really happening. Unfortunately, America‘s fixation with fast corporate news coverage–like fast food outlets where you get it now–creates a situation called “manufactured consent,” a term first coined by Edward Herman and Noam Chomsky in 1992’s Manufacturing Consent. And the junk poisons our political and cultural discourse.
The mainstream media has become nothing less than a semaphore for conservative policies and viewpoints, especially American foreign policy, rather than an independent voice challenging the propaganda, the racism, and the quick, emotionally-based assumptions that harm us both at home and abroad. This is why the League of Women Voters–talked about here–can’t moderate presidential debates any more, because the media turned even that into a “showcase” for jingoism and half-truths, and a kind of beauty contest, rather than a way for people to make an informed decision about where these men and women actually stand, and what that means for our country.
The above documentary is close to one hour long. Get educated.
- NPR Contributor Amy Dickinson is Appalled With Liberal Bias at MSNBC, But Listens to Beck and Limbaugh Daily (crooksandliars.com)
- Republicans want to destroy NPR for the same reason dictators murder intellectuals (americablog.com)
- Are Ghana’s Bloggers Under Threat? (grahamghana.wordpress.com)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
~ by blksista on May 3, 2011.
Posted in American Foreign Policy, American Politics, Class, Crime, Democrats, Democrats in Name Only, Education, International Terrorism, Journalism and Ethics, National Issues, Public Intellectualism, Public Television, Race, Religion, Television, The Economy, The Mainstream Media (MSM), The Rest of the World, War Crimes, Wisconsin, Women
Tags: "Manufacturing Consent", Beauty Contest, CNN, Conservatism, Corporate Media, Edward Herman, Junk Food, League of Women Voters, Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media, Noam Chomsky, NPR, Politics, Showcase, The Mainstream Media, United States, Viewpoints