Some Thursday Love on Valentine’s Day: Donny Hathaway and Roberta Flack, Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, and Anita Baker
These are some real oldies but goldies, but worth every sound.
Enjoy your loves in any color and language.
This was Donny‘s last album with Roberta Flack. He laid down two tracks, and then, sadly, checked out. “You Are My Love, You Are My Heaven,” in contrast to what happened, is such a celebration of the possibilities and raptures of love, it’s best to think of one of the more successful R&B duos just in this exuberant, renewing way. And why not? The words and music are by Eric Mercury and Stevie Wonder. It certainly makes my heart sing even now.
This Marvin Gaye–Tammi Terrell collaboration is merely the voice track—a capella—to the song, “If This World Were Mine.” The track still has power even without the Funk Brothers. The words and music are by Marvin Gaye himself. I played it for my Facebook friends this morning, and just felt that I had to have it for the blog.
And frankly, I just love some Anita. I can really dig, 365 days of the year, some same old love. This is an old Motown song, written by Marilyn Mcleod and Darryl K. Roberts for Jobete Music.
Please do enjoy. And have a great V-Day.
- from my sketchbook: donny hathaway (marshotelonline.com)
- Donny Hathaway + Roberta Flack (messymandella.com)
- Marvin Gaye’s Sister To Debut New Play About Singer’s Life (hiphopwired.com)
- Valentine’s Day Quiz: Marvin Gaye Lyric Or Nietzsche Quote? (thoughtcatalog.com)
- Brian McKnight’s “Songs-To-Get-Your-Groove-On” For Valentine’s Day (987ampradio.cbslocal.com)
- SAO Archive: Remembering the Prince of Soul, Marvin Gaye (robfatherxkeepinitreal.com)