That Oscar Mayer Honey Baked Ham-Brutally Honest Grandpa Commercial
This old fogey has simply decided not to mince, make pretty, or otherwise mouth nice-nice words about anything, including the facts of life. He’s been there, done that. He comes straight to the point and eschews the occasional white lie or plain bullsh*t. Result: he’s brutally honest. Naturally, I thought that it was hilarious, and I don’t think that I am alone in the feeling. Grandpas like this are a variation of the “get off my lawn” type of old guy.
Okay, I am not going to lie, either. Oscar Mayer has a big factory here in Madison, as it is a subsidiary of Kraft Foods, and most springs and summers, the Wienermobile makes an appearance on our major streets. However, no silver has crossed my palm in showcasing this commercial. This is strictly for laughs.
Oscar Mayer teamed up with ad agency McGarry Bowen to create a hilarious ad that would go viral without a huge infusion of cash. The trick is to actually make funny, entertaining, and engaging content, and that’s exactly what they did.
In It’s What You See Is What You Get Food, an overly honest grandfather says it how it is. No matter if that means pointing out that his daughter’s friend had [plastic surgery] work done, or telling his grandson that when you die, you simply go in “the ground.”
Don’t know—yet—who the guy is portraying the old guy. I wouldn’t mind seeing him again admiring how transparent the packaging of certain Oscar Mayer’s cold cuts are. As the season progresses, who knows? He may even hold forth about the deliciousness of hot dogs, although for me brats are more tasty.
- 62/365: National Cold Cuts Day (eatmywords365.com)
- Wienermobile rolls into Frankfort (cltv.com)
- WATCH: Overly Honest Grandfather Tells It Like It Is (huffingtonpost.com)
- Oscar Mayer is Dead (daveibsen.typepad.com)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
~ by blksista on April 3, 2013.
Posted in Class, Commercials, Cooking, Cultural History, Food, Health, Television, Wisconsin
Tags: BuzzFeed, General Foods, Health, Hot Dogs, Kraft Foods, Luncheon Meats, Madison, Oscar Mayer, Sandwiches, TV Commercials, United States, Viral Commercials, Wienermobile