Don’t Forget: “Dark Girls” Debuts on OWN Tonight, June 23 (with Update)
UPDATE (6/24/13): Dark Girls will be repeated June 25 at 9:00 p.m. Central Time (10:00 p.m. Eastern and 7:00 p.m. Pacific); on June 26 at 12:00 midnight, Central Time. For further dates and times, go to the Oprah Winfrey Network schedule.
Nearly three years after this film was released, Bill Duke‘s and D. Channsin Berry’s Dark Girls is having its world television premiere on Oprah Winfrey‘s OWN cable channel tonight, June 23. Set your DVRs and any other recording device for 10 p.m. Eastern, 9 p.m. Central, and 7 p.m. Pacific. Above is a smidgen of reaction by black girls and women to Dark Girls by Jet Magazine; below is a sit-down interview with Bill Duke regarding the genesis of the film: why he decided to make it, and its general reception among black women nationwide; both are video that are at least a year old.
And then, if brothers these days cannot abide being with a dark-skinned woman (and that’s another story), how is it that some white men are attracted to black women?
Yes, indeed: this documentary is going to be food for thought this week. It’s nothing new, but this stuff just keeps reoccurring because of the pull of this negative culture. Get your Facebook and Twitter friends together, as well as your regular real-time friends, and check it out. Here is a link to one of my previous stories regarding Dark Girls, dated in May 2011.
- EGL News Flash: “Dark Girls” Documentary Set To Premiere On OWN (everythinggirlslove.com)
- My Journey to Watching “Dark Girls” Doc Premiering on June 23/ OWN (Trailer Inside) (thegrid6.com)
- Dark Girls: Documentary About Dark-Skinned Women To Air On OWN Network (blackamericaweb.com)
- For Colored Girls: Dark Girls the Documentary (meaganelyce.com)
- Dark Girls: Documentary About Dark-Skinned Women To Air On OWN Network (newsone.com)
- Why ‘Dark Girls’ Matters (thegrio.com)
- On Cable: DARK GIRLS (whatnottodoc.com)